Hotchkiss, Jedediah, 1828-1899
Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
Buena Vista map showing railways to Buena Vista and coking coal fields of Virginia and West Virginia by Hotchkiss, 1888
This contract details the agreement between the Washington College Survey Board and the renowned topographical surveyor Jedadiah Hotchkiss. It is a contract for Hotchkiss to perform various surveys on behalf of the Board of Survey to expand the college's map resources. The five year contract stipulates assorted restrictions on Hotchkiss's rights to the maps. It is signed by R.E. Lee on behalf of the Board of Survey.
Jedediah Hotckiss, renowned Confederate mapmaker, wrote to Robert E. Lee regarding the history of the war that Lee was compiling. Hotchkiss had saved all of his maps of the "battlefields and of the country operated in" and he intended to publish them along with a narrative. In this letter he offers to furnish Lee with any maps that he might want.
Jubal Early recounts his participation in battles of the American Civil War and describes his experience living in Mexico since the Confederate surrender and his planned move to Canada.
The original envelope is included with this letter.
- Archival Object 9
- Collection 1
- American Civil War (United States : 1861-1865) 2
- American Confederate voluntary exiles 1
- American Revolution (1775-1783) 1
- Battle of Gains' Mill (Virginia : 1862) 1
- Battle of North Anna River (Virginia : 1864) 1
- Battle of Spotsylvania Court House (Virginia : 1864) 1
- Coal 1
- Correspondence 1
- Iron 1
- Maps 1
- Mexican War (1846-1848) 1
- Mexico 1
- Railroads 1
- Virginia -- Augusta County 1
- Virginia -- Buena Vista 1
- Virginia -- Page County 1
- Virginia -- Rockingham County 1
- Virginia -- Shenandoah County 1
- Virginia -- Warren County 1
- West Virginia 1 + ∧ less