Correspondence, 1861-01-01 - 1861-01-31
Scope and Contents
Folder three contains correspondence from January 1861. The primary correspondence is to and from Jamison and include military application letters and reports on surveys, maintenance, and activity taking place within the forts of Charleston harbor. Some of these letters contain Confederate plans for attacking Fort Sumter, two of which propose poisoning the water and attacking directly by fortified raft. A highlight is a letter from Senator Henry M. Rice of Minnesota to South Carolina senator James Chestnut on South Carolina’s secession and Rice’s opposition to war. Another curious letter included in this folder explores the unique story of a civilian Irish laborer, Patrick Quinn, who was employed and living within Fort Sumter before its bombardment and his brother Thomas who was a member of the South Carolina militia and seeking to have his brother leave the fort.
- Majority of material found within 1861-01-01 - 1861-01-31
- From the Collection: Keitt, Lawrence M. (Lawrence Massillon), 1824-1864 (Correspondent, Person)
- From the Collection: Barnwell, Robert Woodward (Correspondent, Person)
From the Collection: 125 Item (1 Box, 10 folders)
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
- Aldrich, N., Reverend
- Atlantic Ocean--Stono Inlet
- Baker, Edward Dickinson, 1811-1861
- Brady, Edward W., Jr.
- Branch, John Luther, 1825-1894
- Branham, W. H.
- Bryan, Edward B.
- Burnett Rhett, Andrew, 1833-1879
- Burnett, Burgh S.
- Camden, John
- Capers, Francis W., 1819-1896
- Carter, W. D.
- Charleston (South Carolina) German Artillery
- Chesnut, James, 1815-1885
- Citadel. the Military College of South Carolina
- Clay, C. C. (Clement Claiborne), 1816-1882
- Confederate States of America. Army. South Carolina Infantry Regiment, 1st. Irish Volunteers
- Confederate States of America. Army. South Carolina Infantry Regiment, 2nd
- Confederate States of America. Army. South Carolina Infantry Regiment, 4th
- Confederate States of America. Army. South Carolina Regiment of Rifles, 1st. Company G
- Confederate States of America. South Carolina Artillery Regiment, 1st.. Lafayette Artillery Company
- Cunningham, John, 1805-1869
- D. B. Vincent
- DeSaussure, Wilmot G. (Wilmot Gibbes), 1822-1886
- Dozier, William Gaillard, 1833-1908
- Dunovant, R. G. M. (Richard Gill Mills), 1821-1898
- Farley, H. S.
- Ferguson, Thomas B., 1841-1922
- Ferguson, Thomas B., 1841-1922
- Floating batteries
- Fort Palmetto
- Foster, John G. (John Gray), 1823-1874
- Georgia Military Institute (Marietta, Ga.)
- Gibbon, John, 1827-1896
- Gist, States Rights, 1831-1864
- Gourdin, Robert N., 1812-1894
- Guard, A.C.
- Gwynn, Walter, 1802-1882
- Hamilton, James
- Heyward, Nathaniel Barnwell, 1816-1891
- Jamison, Sander Glover, 1830-1900
- King, Henry Campbell, 1819-1862
- Lesesne, Henry Deas, 1810-1886
- Lightship Rattlesnake Shoal
- Lynah, Arthur M.
- Macbeth, Charles, 1805-1881
- Manget, Victor H., 1837-1919
- Manigault, Edward, 1817-1874
- Martin, William E.
- McLaws, Lafayette, 1821-1897
- Meyerhoff, B., Lieutenant
- Mills, S. S.
- Morris Island Lighthouse (S.C.)
- Myers, Abraham C. (Abraham Charles Myers), 1811 - 1889
- National Hotel (Washington, D.C.)
- Nullification (States' rights)
- Orr, James Lawrence, 1822-1873
- Parrott, R. P. (Robert Parker), 1804-1877
- Pettigrew, James Johnston, 1828-1863
- Pickens, F.W. (Francis Wilkinson), 1805-1869
- Planter's Hotel
- Pope, Joseph James, Jr., 1825-1870
- Quinn, Patrick, 1822-1886
- Quinn, Thomas, 1828-1903
- Rice, Henry M. (Henry Mower), 1816-1894
- Ripley, R. S. (Roswell Sabine), 1823-1887
- Rose, James
- Schooner Petrel
- Screven, John H., 1823-1903
- Short, Emanuel
- Simons, James, 1813-1879
- Simonton, Charles H. (Charles Henry), 1829-1904
- South Carolina Militia. Regiment, Thirty-third
- South Carolina--Charleston
- South Carolina--Charleston County
- South Carolina--Charleston Harbor
- South Carolina--Charleston--Castle Pinckney
- South Carolina--Charleston--Fort Sumter
- South Carolina--Cummings Point
- South Carolina--Folly Island (Island)
- South Carolina--Fort Johnson
- South Carolina--Fort Moultrie
- South Carolina--James Island
- South Carolina--Morris Island
- South Carolina--Sullivans Island
- Spratt, L.W. (Leonidas William), 1818-1903
- State Rights and Free Trade Party (S.C.)
- Trapier, James H., 1815-1865
- Vanderhorst, Louis M., 1832-1864
- Vigilant Rifle Company (1860-1861)
- Walter, George H.
- Washington (D.C.)
- Washington (South Carolina) Artillery
- Washington Light Infantry (Charleston, S.C.)
- West Point Foundry Association
- White Point Garden
- White, E. B. (Edward Brickell), 1806-1882
- Yates, Joseph A.
Part of the Washington and Lee University, University Library Special Collections and Archives Repository
204 W. Washington St.
Lexington VA 24450 USA