WLU Coll PP. Print and Photographic Collections
Found in 177 Collections and/or Records:
One is a postcard ca. 1910 titled 'East Lexington.' It shows House Mountain in the distance and the Maury River downstream from East Lexington, Virginia. The two other images are duplicate contemporary 8x10 black and white photos of House Mountain printed from the original negative made by photographer Michael Miley, c. 1885 - 1900.
This collection contains photographs of graves in Stonewall Jackson Cemetery taken by Jan Tratnik during a visit to Lexington, Virginia.
This collection consists of 1977, 1978, and 1981 calendars of Lexington-Rockbridge County produced by the Ruth Anderson McCulloch Branch of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities.
An original lithograph by Blelock and Company and a modern photograph of an earlier post-Civil War photograph of Jefferson Davis.
Print of Charles Willson Peale's 1779 oil portrait of Marquis de Lafayette. The original painting is owned by Washington and Lee University. This print was published by Washington and Lee University in the early 20th century.
This collection consists of contact prints made from Michael Miley's glass plate negatives, which are owned by the Library of Virginia.
An image negative of the Lee family piano when it was on display in the Lee Chapel Museum. The piano is now located in president's house on Washington and Lee University's campus. The negative was sleeved in an envelope with a note for 'Miss Helen' from Charles Tolley that reads: 'This is a negative of the piano in the Museum. If you feel that you could ever use it, you may keep it'.
This collection contains an engraved card commemorating the closing events of the American Revolutionary War at Newburgh, New York.
This collection contains postcards by the Photo Views Company in Oak Hill, Virginia. Included are postcards of Michie's Tavern near Charlottesville, Hot Springs, Falling Springs Branch between Hot Springs and Covington, Route 39 near Afton, and a view from Route 60, Route 60 Bridge near Covington, and Blue Ridge Terrace in Afton.
This collection consists of a copy of a photograph of the Ann Smith Academy in Lexington, Virginia. The collection also includes the negative of the image, which was taken before 1899. The postcard is of the new structure of the Ann Smith Academy c.1910, which is now the Washington and Lee Chi Psi Fraternity house.
Thirty-seven color snapshots of scenes from the aftermath of flooding of Buena Vista, Virginia in August 1969. The rains that led to the extensive flooding within particular areas Central Virginia along the Blue Ridge Mountains were from the remnants of Hurricane Camille which had made landfall on the Mississippi coast days before.
Photograph, Interior View of a Student Boarding House, Washington and Lee University, c. 1930 - 1942
A photograph of an interior view of a student boarding house on W&L's campus referred to on its reverse as 'The Little House'. The inscription, dated 1942, is written to 'Paul' (believed to be Paul Sanders, W&L class of 1943) from a 'Mrs. Lee.'
A single silver print of a man standing with a shotgun in front of a canvas tent. The back of the photograph reads 'Campbell's Cabins, Fall of 1898' and 'Hunters: Thomas A. Sterrett, Howard Campbell, Sandy Waddell, Zach and Mac Johnstone, Harry Glasgow, Bud and Will Kinnear, Harry Moore, Rice Miller, Rufus Patterson, Frank McClung, Frank Sterrett, Doctor Pen. Tompkins, Mr. Harris, and A. E. Larrick.'
Original photograph of a man identified as 'Hair-Lip Harris' who suffered from a cleft lip and palate. On the reverse of the picture is written the following: 'Hair-Lip Harris' 'Lived in Lexington, VA''Quite a character' 'Of interest to anatomists.' The first name of the man is unknown.
This collection includes a photograph and accompanying negative of Dr. A. Nash Johnston. Johnston was born in Tazewell County, Va. lived and practiced medicine in Richmond and Goochland County, Va. He moved to Rockbridge County about 1890, where he practiced medicine, served as a state Senator from his district, and from 1900 - 1904 served as the Superintendent of Schools for the county. A. Nash Johnston was the son of Virginia novelist Mary Johnston.
A modern black and white photograph of John Wollaston's painting of Daniel Parke Custis. Wollaston's portrait was done in 1757. The original painting is owned by Washington and Lee University.