Meredith W. D. Hogshead Correspondence
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of printed digital scans and transcriptions of 40 letters written between 1848-1853 from Elijah Hogshead to his son Meredith William David Hogshead, who was a student at Washington College.
- Creation: Inclusive 1848-1853
- Creation: Majority of material found within Bulk 1848-1851
- Hogshead, Meredith W. D. (Correspondent, Person)
- Hogshead, Elijah (Correspondent, Person)
- Hogshead, Margaret (Correspondent, Person)
- Hogshead, Preston (Correspondent, Person)
- Sproul, Bill (Transcriber, Person)
Conditions Governing Use
The materials from Washington and Lee University Special Collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user assumes full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used should be fully credited with the source. Permission for publication of this material, in part or in full, must be secured with the Head of Special Collections.
Language of Materials
These printed digital scans and transcriptions were given to Washington and Lee University by Mary Virginia Hart, the great-great grandaugher of Elijah Hogshead. Her cousin, Bill Sproul, transcribed the letters.
Existence and Location of Originals
The original letters are owned by the Augusta Historical Society as Accession #783, Hogshead Letters.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script