Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 27
This collection consists of photographs of the Alphin Family of Rockbridge County, Va. There are two copies of earlier family group photographs and one copy of photos of Katherine Alphin and Phoebe Hayslett Alphin. All family group images are identified and include surnames Alphin, Dickson, Hardy, Snider, McGuffin, Teaford, Kirkpatrick, Cook, and Hazlett.
This photograph of Jubal Anderson Early was taken in Lexington, Va. in the photographic studio of Boude and Miley. Early served as a Confederate general during the American Civil War. The image is autographed by Early.
A photograph of Mamie Echols, of Glasgow, Virginia wearing a graduation cap and gown. The cabinet photo was taken by Michael Miley, Lexington, Virginia photographer.
Items in the collection include a scrapbook, a bound volume of the Ring-Tum Phi, a book of pressed leaves, Miller family birth records, photographs of Lexington and Campbell family members, newspapers, and personal letters.
Carte de Visite (cdv) photograph of Lee Chapel on the campus of Washington and Lee University by photographer Michael Miley, c. 1870 - 1874.
A carte de visite photograph of William E. Dold taken by photographer Michael Miley in his Lexington (VA) studio between.
A carte de visite photograph of Washington and Lee University student William E. Dold. Dold graduated in 1876. The photo was taken by Lexington, Va. photographer Michael Miley and is autographed by Dold.
Includes 82 items collected by Charles Manson Crutchfield, including 38 photographs some of which are of Confederate generals and were taken by Michael Miley, postcards and printed materials, most of which concern Washington and Lee University and the surrounding city of Lexington, Virginia during the 1880's
Edward L. Moreland and Robert W. Dickey Correspondence with accompanying photograph of an early X-Ray
One is a postcard ca. 1910 titled 'East Lexington.' It shows House Mountain in the distance and the Maury River downstream from East Lexington, Virginia. The two other images are duplicate contemporary 8x10 black and white photos of House Mountain printed from the original negative made by photographer Michael Miley, c. 1885 - 1900.
This collection includes student memorabilia of Lucius and Cave Desha, including programs, pamphlets and Michael Miley photographs of students and faculty.
The collection consists of research material compiled by Dr. Marshall W. Fishwick on Michael Miley and his developments in color photography. Items of interest include Fishwick's article on Miley published in American Quarterly, a 1904 cabinet card of Michael Miley by his son, Henry, three cabinet cards of the early interior of Lee Chapel, the Colonnade, and VMI's front gates, correspondences between Henry Miley and Fishwick, and copies of several original Miley photographs.
This collection consists of contact prints made from Michael Miley's glass plate negatives, which are owned by the Library of Virginia.
This pamphlet about the Peabody Summer Normal School contains a list of faculty, information on board and lodging, what to expect during the sessions, photographs of scenic views taken by Michael Miley including some on Washington and Lee University's campus, and local business advertisements. The summer session was under the direction of Dr. Charles H. Winston of Richmond College. A normal school is now frequently called a teacher's college.
This is a photo of the former Baptist Church located on Nelson Street (Route 60) in Lexington, Virginia, designed by architect James Crawford Neilson. This photograph was likely made by photographer Michael Miley. The church was constructed in 1879 and demolished in 1919.
Photograph includes a horse and buggy that is parked in front of the Forest Inn Hotel on Stagecoach Road. This contemporary copy was made from an original Michael Miley negative.
This collection consists of two photographs by Michael Miley matted onto one card. The two images of Pulpit Rock are almost identical. The card contains a description of Natural Bridge on the back.
An assortment of approximately eighty-three photographs and negatives of Washington and Lee University's Reid Hall. The images span about one hundred years and include modern copies of earlier images as well as original photos.
Includes copies of correspondence between Robert Henry and Douglas Southall Freeman about Freeman writing a foreword for Henry's book The Story of the Conferderacy as well as copies of correspondence between Washington and Lee University Dean Frank Gilliam and Major Edward C. Betts about a Boude and Miley photograph of Robert E. Lee owned by Betts and used by Henry in this book.