Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 27

House Mountain Images

 Collection
Identifier: WLU-Coll-PP-0022
Scope and Contents One is a postcard ca. 1910 titled 'East Lexington.' It shows House Mountain in the distance and the Maury River downstream from East Lexington, Virginia. The two other images are duplicate contemporary 8x10 black and white photos of House Mountain printed from the original negative made by photographer Michael Miley, c. 1885 - 1900.
Dates: ca. 1910-1980?

Houston Family Photograph Album

 Collection
Identifier: WLU-Coll-PP-0002
Scope and Contents A carte de visite album belonging to the Houston family of Lexington, Virginia. It contains images of Judge Thomas Dix Houston, the Ervine, White, Wilson, Leach, Weir, Buchanan, Shumate, Culton, and Bear families of Rockbridge and Augusta Counties in Virginia. It also contains an image of Virginia Military Institute professor James Woods Massie. There are photographs by Lexington and Shenandoah Valley photographers Michael Miley, Adam H. Plecker, Hugh Morrison, and Benjamin Clinedinst, and...
Dates: 1865 - 1875

Lexington and Lexington-Rockbridge County Chamber of Commerce Collection

 Collection
Identifier: RHS-Coll-0011
Scope and Contents This collection contains two pamphlets issued by the Lexington Chamber of Commerce and its later incarnation, the Lexington-Rockbridge County Chamber of Commerce. One, which predates 1926, is entitled Lexington Virginia: 'Heart of the Southland'. Several photographs by Michael Miley and a regional map are printed inside. The second one is entitled A Sign Program for Lexington, Virginia, which was reprinted from the News Gazette October 28 1964. There is also a copy of meeting minutes from the...
Dates: prior to 1926-1964

Lucius Desha Papers

 Collection
Identifier: WLU-Coll-0156
Scope and Contents This collection includes student memorabilia of Lucius and Cave Desha, including programs, pamphlets and Michael Miley photographs of students and faculty.
Dates: 1868 - 1873

Marshall Fishwick Research Collection on Michael Miley

 Collection
Identifier: WLU-Coll-0637
Scope and Contents The collection consists of research material compiled by Dr. Marshall W. Fishwick on Michael Miley and his developments in color photography. Items of interest include Fishwick's article on Miley published in American Quarterly, a 1904 cabinet card of Michael Miley by his son, Henry, three cabinet cards of the early interior of Lee Chapel, the Colonnade, and VMI's front gates, correspondences between Henry Miley and Fishwick, and copies of several original Miley photographs.
Dates: 1879 - 1951

Michael Miley Photographic Collection

 Collection
Identifier: WLU-Coll-PP-0006
Scope and Contents This collection consists of contact prints made from Michael Miley's glass plate negatives, which are owned by the Library of Virginia.
Dates: Other: 199?

Peabody Summer Normal School Pamphlet

 Collection
Identifier: WLU-Coll-0501
Scope and Contents This pamphlet about the Peabody Summer Normal School contains a list of faculty, information on board and lodging, what to expect during the sessions, photographs of scenic views taken by Michael Miley including some on Washington and Lee University's campus, and local business advertisements. The summer session was under the direction of Dr. Charles H. Winston of Richmond College. A normal school is now frequently called a teacher's college.
Dates: Inclusive July 2-27, 1900

Photograph of Nelson Street Baptist church in Lexington, Va.

 Collection
Identifier: WLU-Coll-PP-0204
Scope and Contents This is a photo of the former Baptist Church located on Nelson Street (Route 60) in Lexington, Virginia, designed by architect James Crawford Neilson. This photograph was likely made by photographer Michael Miley. The church was constructed in 1879 and demolished in 1919.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1879 - 1905

Photograph of the Forest Inn in Natural Bridge, Virginia

 Collection
Identifier: WLU-Coll-PP-0037
Scope and Contents Photograph includes a horse and buggy that is parked in front of the Forest Inn Hotel on Stagecoach Road. This contemporary copy was made from an original Michael Miley negative.
Dates: 1885