Campbell, J. L. (John Lyle)
- Existence: 1818-1886
A.B., W&L, 1843; A.M.; LL.D. Robinson professor of natural (physical) science, W&L, 1851; Robinson professor chemistry, W&L, 1865; Robinson professor chemistry (mineralogy) and geology, W&L, 1875-86. Superintendent, Rockbridge Co. schools, 1870-82. See MSS Catalog.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Items in the collection include a scrapbook, a bound volume of the Ring-Tum Phi, a book of pressed leaves, Miller family birth records, photographs of Lexington and Campbell family members, newspapers, and personal letters.
Dates: Inclusive 1843-1950
File — Box: 2, Folder: 86
Scope and Contents This folder contains a newspaper article, notes, and photographs of Stono, originally known as Jordan’s Point and built by Colonel John Jordan. The article and notes discuss owners, including John L. Campbell, Mrs. Anne R. Howell, and William J. Driver. It also discusses the Virginia Military Institute, near which Stono stands.
Dates: 1953 - 1990