Ann Norvell Otey Scott Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains chiefly correspondence with Washington and Lee University and United Daughters of the Confederacy officials, resolutions, and reports relating to her participation in the controversy over W&L President Henry Louis Smith's proposed renovation and expansion of the Lee Chapel. Also includes correspondence and clippings relating to fund-raising for the Stratford Hall restoration. Correspondents include members of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Washington and Lee officials, and Lee family members. It also includes a copy of Mary Randolph Custis Lee's will dated 1918.
- Creation: Inclusive 1920-1948
- Scott, Ann Norvell Otey (Correspondent, Person)
- Lee family (Correspondent, Family)
- Lee, Mary Randolph Custis, 1807-1883 (Person)
Conditions Governing Use
The materials from Washington and Lee University Special Collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user assumes full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used should be fully credited with the source. Permission for publication of this material, in part or in full, must be secured with the Head of Special Collections.
Biographical / Historical
Ann Norvell Otey Scott was the Chairman of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Virginia Division and a resident of Lynchburg, Virginia.
.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Materials on the Lee Chapel controversy are housed in Box 1; materials related to Stratford Hall are housed in Box 2.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Anne Farrar in 1984.
- Smith, Henry Louis (Person)
- Lee, George Bolling (Person)
- Lee Chapel (Washington and Lee University) (Organization)
- United Daughters of the Confederacy (Organization)
- Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (Organization)
- Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870 (Person)
- Washington and Lee University. Stratford Hall (Organization)
- Washington and Lee University (Organization)
- Farrar, Anne S. (Person)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script