Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Box 2

 Container

Contains 26 Collections and/or Records:

Paxton House

 File — Box: 2, Folder: 70
Scope and Contents This folder contains notes on and photographs of the Paxton Place. The notes discuss the various owners of the land and house, including R. Tate Alexander and various Paxton family members, physical attributes of the land such as soil type, and a walkthrough of the floorplan.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1800 - 1995

Pine Hill Farm, 1960

 File — Box: 2, Folder: 71
Scope and Contents This folder contains a report on Pine Hill Farm, built around 1825, which discusses the owners, Mr. and Mrs. L.D. Perkins, Plank Road, nearby taverns, and other inhabitants as well as the builder Nathaniel Rowlinson. There is also a walkthrough of the floorplan and photographs of the house.
Dates: 1960

Point of Honor, 1967

 File — Box: 2, Folder: 73
Scope and Contents This folder contains a booklet entitled, “Point of Honor: Its Past and Its Potential” by S. Allen Chambers, Jr. The booklet discusses the history of ownership, including the Lynch family, Dr. George Cabell and his son William Lewis Cabell, Col. Maurice Langhorne, Judge William Daniel, and James R. Gilliam; the architectural significance of the house, and the reasoning behind and suggestions for its preservation.
Dates: 1967

Poplar Forest, 1957

 File — Box: 2, Folder: 74
Scope and Contents This folder contains a paper written for a fine arts class entitled, “The Historical Survey of Poplar Forest,” which is in Bedford County, written by E.M. Barber. Poplar Forest was a home used by Thomas Jefferson as a retreat from Monticello; he inherited it from his wife, along with 135 slaves, which she had inherited from her father. The paper also talks about renovations made by Jefferson, as well as structural notes, photographs, and a floorplan.
Dates: 1957

Red House, 1956 - 1958

 File — Box: 2, Folder: 75
Scope and Contents This folder contains a report on Red House, a home near Fairfield on the west side of Route 11. The report covers the history of the house and its inhabitants, including the McDowells, the Treavys, the Laymans and the Alexanders; information about the physical house, landscaping, and the McDowell Burying Ground, farm, and orchard; and photographs of the house and surrounding land. Also contained is a newspaper (Lexington Gazette) article about Red House and the McDowells.
Dates: 1956 - 1958

Riverside, 1952

 File — Box: 2, Folder: 76
Scope and Contents This folder contains two copies of a newspaper article about Riverside, home of the Shields family. The article discusses the history of the house and the Shields family.
Dates: 1952

Savernake, 1976

 File — Box: 2, Folder: 78
Scope and Contents This folder contains a newspaper article about the history of Savernake, owned by the Dickinson family.
Dates: 1976

Senseny

 File — Box: 2, Folder: 79
Scope and Contents This folder contains two copies of a report on the Senseny House in Lexington, written by Pat Dennis. This house was first built (by John Leyburn, John Parry, Josh Jordan, Andrew Wallace, William Letcher, Reuben Ross, Joseph Blair, Samuel Darst, John Caruthers, and John Ruff) as a schoolhouse. The report then discusses the various owners and uses of the building, including a school for black children bought by Nathan C. Brackett and a house bought by James Madison Senseny and eventually willed...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1800 - 1995

Silverwood

 File — Box: 2, Folder: 80
Scope and Contents This folder contains a report on Silverwood, a home built by General E. Frank Paxton in 1857 and later sold to Judge John White Brockenbrough and wife Mary Caldwell. The report discusses other owners, including Judge James Kerr Edmondson and wife Emily, and Mary K. Monroe Robinson and husband Edward (descended from the Lyles and Grahams); a physical description of the house and its renovations; and historical information about the owners and their children.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1800 - 1995

Silverwood, 1942

 File — Box: 2, Folder: 81
Scope and Contents This folder contains a bound report (written in 1942) on Silverwood, a home built by General E. Frank Paxton in 1857 and later sold to Judge John White Brockenbrough and wife Mary Caldwell. The report discusses other owners, including Judge James Kerr Edmondson and wife Emily, and Mary K. Monroe Robinson and husband Edward (descended from the Lyles and Grahams); a physical description of the house and its renovations; and historical information about the owners and their children.
Dates: 1942